Tuesday 24 May 2011

The Great Escape

The last couple of days have been set aside by V and myself as a getaway.
We had planned everything out. We would leave on Sunday after church. Go out into the peak district to a camp site which just so happened to be close to Birchen Edge near Chesterfield. There we would relax, play cards, eat dinner and enjoy each others company. Monday morning we would go out to Birchen Edge where I would boulder away while V chilled out enjoying the beautiful Vistas etc etc. Tuesday come home all relaxed ready for the week ahead.
How it actually worked out was somewhat different. 
We got there late afternoon. It was about a half mile walk to the camp site which isn't too bad but it was up hill and we managed to pack so much stuff it became a 2 trip fiasco. We finally settled down having pitched up and everything. but here is the issue. No waterproofs, no games, no warm clothing, a lighter almost out of gas, no hot drinks, V had lost her hiking boots.
We were pretty much thinking we had made a mistake by not planning properly. I think the words I heard on several occasions were..."what are we doing here? We're so city" and "This was a stupid idea we don't know what we're doing" haha 
BUT we persisted and Sunday afternoon we went for a walk up Birchen Edge and watched the sun set. We spent a stormy night in the tent which said it could fit a double air bed, but didn't say that was all it could fit! So we had all our bags and things piled on top of us. We must have woken up in the night about a million times because the wind was so strong we felt like we would be rolling down the hill in no time.
Monday morning was miserable. unlike the beautiful day before, it was overcast, windy and drizzling I was told very bluntly "You'll never be able to light the stove in this" Being the stubborn man that I am, while V was in the toilet I set about subtly taking the odd rock from the farmers wall to build a shelter for the stove. Then after much effort I managed to get some bacon under way. We had some nice bacon butties while we decided the weather was not what we thought it would be, we didn't have the right clothes for it and so we packed up and came home. We were a little disappointed, I didn't get to climb and we kind of felt like we were copping out but we came home and had a nice day together instead.
The lesson we have learnt it ALWAYS BE PREPARED. so take everything you might ever need.
We still got some great pictures though. The peak district is breathtaking. We loved it and can't wait to go back.
 All of our stuff bouldering mat and all
 before we were aware of what was going to happen.
 loaded and ready to go
 look at the happiness
 our walk to the camp site
 I ended up with most of the stuff.
 The Devil Cow that kept scaring V
 View from the site
 Our ikel tent
 love the peak district
 My beautiful wife.
 Jelly eating without spoons
 I used a fork.
 walk to Birchen Edge


 Top of Birchen Edge

 A contemplative gaze 
 master photos
 I love this Picture thanks V
 Sun setting
Horses in the next field

To close this long post I just want to say how proud I am of my wife. She is a woman who likes her comforts and she really made me proud with how willing she was to try everything that I wanted to do. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment